Wakefield and District has a captivating history and is most famous for its rich mining, textile and agricultural heritage. Home to the internationally acclaimed Hepworth Gallery and Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Wakefield is a thriving, historical and cultural city located in the heart of the North of England.
The council is on a mission to deliver an outstanding experience for the c340,000 residents and 8,000 employees. The latest technology has been procured and plans to deliver a number of key projects which will improve customer experience, workforce management and deployment, business intelligence and collaboration with partners have been put in place.
We are seeking motivated, values led individuals interested in working with an organisation with a strong social purpose. If you would like to be a part of this ambitious transformation which aims to improve and secure the best possible outcomes for all people across the district, then please read on.
Overall Purpose of the Post:
The Council’s Technology strategy is focused on the creation, enhancement and adoption of a common approach to software development. Through a framework of standard tools, solutions and approaches we deliver reusable software and applications with standardised functionality and capabilities across the entire Authority. This approach if based on the Microsoft technology ‘stack’ and Microsoft Dynamics CRM 365 is a key component. This approach is referred to from here-on in as the Enterprise Application Platform (EAP).
You will work closely with the Senior Developers, project team members and colleagues across all Directorates and Service areas to develop and deploy new (and enhanced) capabilities within the EAP technology stack. This would typically be creating new functionality through prototyping and innovative cutting-edge development to provide new or expanded functionality within the EAP. You will be responsible for the development of the Enterprise Application Platform (EAP).
This is a challenging role, requiring a positive and flexible attitude, a good understanding of Microsoft Dynamics 365 functional development and capability, business processes, business change and Agile methodologies.
Duties for the D365 Developer Include:
- Work with the Senior Developer to develop the EAP framework as a whole.
- Assist with the planning, design and delivery of each new application within the EAP framework.
- Understand and translate complex business requirements into usable Dynamics 365 implementations.
- Be responsible within project delivery teams for applying our standard technical approach to development, integration, testing and deployment of EAP solutions.
- Note: This may require specialisation in technologies such as PowerApps, PowerAutomate and Azure Paas offerings as well as the development of additional skills specific to the area being worked upon. This work can run over the long term (5 years+) including succession planning and eventual replacement.
- Research and development into innovations within the technology sector to assess their potential suitability for future adoption into the EAP.
- Work with colleagues to fully understand business requirements and be able to translate that into the functional capability, customisation or development necessary to deliver a successful EAP implementation.
- Working within a team environment to train and cross-skill colleagues in priority areas and skill-sets, including the creation and maintenance of documentation and knowledge-based repositories.
- Investigation, procurement and delivery of IT tools, technologies and systems.
- Observance and further development of standards and procedures such as security procedures, coding standards.
- Advising on IT issues in multi-disciplinary teams with council staff, suppliers and partner organisations at all levels.
- Presentation and demonstrations of IT systems and technologies to customers.
- Observance and application of relevant IT legislation e.g. Data Protection, Information Security Policies. This includes implementing controls to ensure all council data is secure and systems are safe guarded.
- Providing development trouble shooting and complex problem solving using a variety of tools and techniques.
Essential Technical Experience:
- Experience of using Microsoft development tools and technologies including Visual Studio 2019, C#, ASP.NET MVC / WebApi 2.0.
- Knowledge and practical experience of integration technologies including SOAP and REST web services.
- A good understanding of AGILE principles and framework for software development.
- A good understanding of current Microsoft technology offerings and potential future developments.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
Desired Technical Experience
- Additional professional training in related disciplines, for instance Microsoft certified development courses
- Proven experience of the customisation and configuration options available in recent versions of Microsoft Dynamics 365
- Proven experience in integrating Microsoft Dynamics 365 with other applications and platforms.
- Knowledge and practical experience of Relational Database design and development using Microsoft SQL Server 2012 and above
- An understanding of the concepts within Azure DevOps automated deployment.
Technology Programme priorities:
- Build once, use many times
- Smarter and sustainable
- Resilient and innovation ready
What’s on offer?
This is a chance to join an organisation that is commercially minded with a social purpose. If you have an energetic mind-set, attention to detail and would like to be a part of an organisation delivering significant benefits to the people of Wakefield, then this could be the place to build your career.
In return Wakefield Council can offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package including 38 days holiday (inc Bank Holidays), flexible working hours around a 37 hours week, homeworking, Pension and the chance to be a part of this exciting journey offering excellent training and lifelong learning.
Wakefield has excellent travel links, sitting on the intersection of the M1 and M62 and with rail links on the East Coast mainline for London, North East and Scotland plus Transpennine services via Leeds.
If the above sounds like you, please click apply for immediate consideration.